Author Topic: RT 100 h New Tubes Day  (Read 8828 times)

Offline RoccoRiggs

• View Profile
RT 100 h New Tubes Day
« on: October 02, 2012, 11:53:41 AM »
 Just thought I'd report that I replaced the stock valved Ruby 6L6 's with a set of Svetlana el34's..and WOW! I dont know if my Ruby's were tired, or if I just don't like the sound of 6L6's..but I must say I am most impressed.
Lotsa guys are dissing the new Svet's as a marketing ploy..not the same as SED's..blah blah. All I can say is that I bought a Quad of green grade Svets for 52.99 at Musicians friend and the amp sounds astounding!

I did the bias probe thingy and set both sides at about 38mA or so - the cleans are punchy, bright and bubbly with alot of springy feel in the left hand..bouncy as hell...very fendery with single coils.
gain set at about 2 o'clock the crunch sounds are mint - well balanced, chuggariffic! So impressed I just ordered the matching 2x12 RC with Celestion Rockets in it..I know..I know.. Was using  the head with my Marshall 2x12 but  I want to wear my Randall ProudlyI The head is gonna look Badass on top of the 2x12..Got the cab from Instrument pro for 235.00 out the door..I have some vintage 30's lying around should the Rockets suck..but I'm assuming its gonna be a well made match.

This amp is still a steal if you can find one out there they are generally in the $500 range new..a no brainer..I a-b'd it with my Marshall DSL 50 with authentic Winged C's and the Marshall sounded anemic by comparison..The Randall ate it up..does the brown sound so well.. love that Van Haleny tone man..the el34's brought me to a place I needed to be..Try ' em and let me know what you think.

Offline Wookieslayer

• View Profile
    • My band's facebook
Re: RT 100 h New Tubes Day
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 02:10:18 AM »
Awesome dude!  Always wanted to try one but no stores nearby carried these.  Interesting to hear the Dsl comparison.   Btw, let us know if you get your cab okay, I've read a lot of negative reviews on instrument pro... Hope your cab gets to u ok.
Randall V2 / Titan
RS412XLT100
ISP Decimator, Tech 21 Midi Mouse, Alesis Midiverb III
Schecter Omen 6, BC Rich Jr V Icon

Offline Gwill

• View Profile
    • My Band Triaxis!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 07:59:49 AM »
Epic, I think I prefer the EL34 sound to 6l6, all about that upper mid grind!
I want all the new amps!!

Offline RoccoRiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 01:43:25 PM »
Interesting..what you say about instrument pro..I ordered the cabinet yesterday, but have yet to hear back from them regarding anything about my order...wondering if I will ever see the cab..

Side note, my DSL is the 1923 model they made in honor of Jim's 85th birthday..Supposedly the difference between it and other DSL's are that it's spec checked along the way on the production line..a bit more quality control from what i am told...very woody sounding. I play both a 6 and a 7 string throughout a night. My problem with the DSL is that setting up the distortion for one guitar didn't mean the 2nd guitar was gonna sound good through it..I always liked the T2 but had the similar problem when switching guitars..that's when I looked at the RT..

I use an EMG loaded ESP custom shop 7 string viper on the 3rd channel through a 4x12 recto cab for the big gigs....it sounded killer with the 6L6's..can't imagine what it will do with the new tubes..

Offline RoccoRiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 07:49:38 AM »
For the record, after reading reviews of instrument pro's customer service, I bagged the order on the randall 2x12. I assume I would never get it, so before they charged the credit card, I cancelled. Lets see if they honor the cancellation.

Offline Wookieslayer

• View Profile
    • My band's facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 01:58:14 AM »
For the record, after reading reviews of instrument pro's customer service, I bagged the order on the randall 2x12. I assume I would never get it, so before they charged the credit card, I cancelled. Lets see if they honor the cancellation.

Good idea man.  I almost ordered some stuff there myself, some crazy deals.  But I'd say 9/10 reviews were negative and most couldn't get their money back.  They had the Randall Rt2/50 rackmount power amps for $59.99 a piece and I had to control myself from ordering 3 or 4 and flipping 'em, LOL.
Randall V2 / Titan
RS412XLT100
ISP Decimator, Tech 21 Midi Mouse, Alesis Midiverb III
Schecter Omen 6, BC Rich Jr V Icon

Offline tacklebox455

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
my stock rubys sucked as well i went with tung-sol el-34's from tc tubes(they can match tubes with your screen voltage and plate voltage as well) and the amp came alive i also had some svetlana 6L6GC's laying around and tried them as well and they were awesome much better than the rubys right now i have a set of tung-sol 5881's on the way and kt66 and kt77's also
Electric Wizard,Weedeater,High on Fire thats my play list

Offline RoccoRiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 06:11:32 PM »
I listened to your demo's.. nice! Surprised the Rubys sucked so bad...

Offline RoccoRiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 06:27:47 PM »
ps..i'm still in on the $225.00 rt 2x12 cab..I got a call from Carlos at instrument pro after I cancelled..he asked me if i was still interested as he didn't hear from whoever he gets his gear from.....seemd like a nice enough guy. He's gonna try to hook me up with the cab cheap, no billing the card unless it drop ships..to be continued..

Offline RoccoRiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 06:20:46 PM »
Instrument pro tried to hook me up,,contacted me personally via telephone 2 days in a row. Tried to score me a cab at a great price to no avail as they are discontinued. This guy tried..so I do recommend you try to use them if you are in no hurry and want a smokin' deal on a specific piece of gear. My credit card was not charged..fully professional attempt by Carlos to hook me up... Just remember you are dealing with one dude running the show, but get to know him and you may be rewarded.

Offline RoccoRiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 07:34:03 AM »
Stay away from instrument pro!!! Even though they were trying to accommodate me, I got charges for the cabinet which wasn't and will never be in stock because it was discontinued from Randall..Yo
u guys were right..Bad Business there..Stay away!!!

Offline chuck

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 12:35:48 PM »
hey, my name is chuck. reference tube biasing, i don't get a reading unless the amp is on and not in standby?? can you help ??

Offline vick1000

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 09:13:46 PM »
That's normal. Should read zero in stand by. Just for reference, I got the low down from two sources at Randall, the reading is for pairs of tubes, so divide by two for tube specs. I.E.: 70mv is 35mv per tube in that pair. They specifically said the reading should be between 70-80mv for 6L6GC.