Author Topic: RD 45 Question Please !!!  (Read 4899 times)

Offline rrguitar

• View Profile
RD 45 Question Please !!!
« on: February 28, 2014, 09:52:12 PM »
Hi guys, I am loving the tones out of my RD45 but have a question that may seem silly...

How do you guys run your volume on the amp? Meaning, crank the Secondary Volume and adjust with the Master Volume or Crank the Master and adjust with the Secondary Volume ??

Sounds odd I know, but have always ran my marshalls with the master cranked and adjusted with the secondary volume..

Any help would be appreciated..

Offline Gwill

• View Profile
    • My Band Triaxis!
Re: RD 45 Question Please !!!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 06:17:03 AM »
Hey mate, sorry I missed this. I've been away for a few days. I just run both volumes about half way. Not sure if cranking the master and running the channel volume will have any effect, I'm pretty sure to get power tube sag you will need to just drive the amp really hard in general. I also don't know how loud it goes, mine is pretty loud with everything on 5.

The amp head is great, I've been getting loads of compliments on how tight and punchy it is and the leads scream too.
I want all the new amps!!

Offline Wookieslayer

• View Profile
    • My band's facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 02:07:08 AM »
Gwill do you still have or use your T2? 

I had to sell my T2 last summer for some quick funds... Still own my V2 and Titan though.  That doesn't stop me from wanting to hear the RD45 or 100.  I played the RVC5 in Guitar Center the other day (the GC 5w Diavlo combo), and I liked it!
Randall V2 / Titan
RS412XLT100
ISP Decimator, Tech 21 Midi Mouse, Alesis Midiverb III
Schecter Omen 6, BC Rich Jr V Icon

Offline Gwill

• View Profile
    • My Band Triaxis!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 07:07:52 AM »
Hey Wookie, I do still have the T2. It started having some wierd issues where the sound would cut out after a certain time. It only happened after it'd been on a while so I'd assume it was heat related. Sent it off to the Randall guys in the UK and they tested it for days and days, looked at the guts couldn't find anything wrong with it. After they sent it back it worked problem free for about 2 months and then the problem came back. Totally wierd.

Anyway, on topic, I got the RD45 and it's amazing, I'd say it's definitely better than the T2. I'm currently running the gain to taste, volumes at 5 and everything else at 4 and it sounds absolutely huge, kind of like a 5150 but with a more controllable top end and mid range, much tighter too.

Here's a vid from a recent gig I did in a pretty crowded little venue. Excuse the quality when everything comes in, it was so loud the kick was shaking the building.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1459450364285286&set=vb.100006610089924&type=3&theater
I want all the new amps!!

Offline rrguitar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 07:08:28 PM »
So I had issues with the volume raising by itself while I was playing. It was happening frequently and I email Support. They were nice enough to take the amp and send me a new one. Very impressed with Randell support !!!

Offline Wookieslayer

• View Profile
    • My band's facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 07:12:43 AM »
Hey Wookie, I do still have the T2. It started having some wierd issues where the sound would cut out after a certain time.

Anyway, on topic, I got the RD45 and it's amazing...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1459450364285286&set=vb.100006610089924&type=3&theater

Dude I had the same problem with my T2!  well almost, the volume would cut down to half.  I gave it to my guitar tech friend and he could NOT get teh issue to repeat itself.  We brought it to rehearsal and played it at the practice space for over 2 hours and no issue whatsoever, even running at 16 ohms and pushing it hard haha.

I came home and tested the voltage from my power outlet with a multimeter and the voltage was way out of spec depending on how many devices / appliances were turned on at the time (TV, computer, oven, stereo, etc. lol).  Sometimes it would hover around 120-122 v but I saw it drop to 117 and go as high as 124-125.  Weird but I think the issue of the volume problem was the sensitivity to the voltage.  My T2 never seemed too overheat, always had the back cover off.  It's the V2 I think that got to hot and now the clean channel doesn't work.  I still haven't fixed the V2 and I had to sell my T2 last summer so now I miss it lol

Anyway cool to hear you like your RD45!  I tried a RVC5 110 combo at Guitar Center and it was pretty killer.
I will check out the clip!  \m/

So I had issues with the volume raising by itself while I was playing. It was happening frequently and I email Support. They were nice enough to take the amp and send me a new one. Very impressed with Randell support !!!

Niceee!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:14:47 AM by Wookieslayer »
Randall V2 / Titan
RS412XLT100
ISP Decimator, Tech 21 Midi Mouse, Alesis Midiverb III
Schecter Omen 6, BC Rich Jr V Icon