Author Topic: RD45 Concerns  (Read 5414 times)

Offline RustInPeace

• View Profile
RD45 Concerns
« on: March 17, 2014, 10:26:31 AM »
Hello all, got my new RD45 on Thursday and I have just one question:

The presence control doesnt do anything at all until I hit about 3 oclock plus.  Its just a ball of mud anything before, is this normal?

Could increasing the bias slightly help this out?

Really liking the clean channel so far on this, brilliant.  The lead channel seems to need some volume behind it to tighten up...

Offline Gwill

• View Profile
    • My Band Triaxis!
Re: RD45 Concerns
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 05:25:15 AM »
Hey, I find the RD45 to be quite dark before you hit the right volume. I think it's quite a gradual presence to prevent that all or nothing fizz that the 5150 and recto get bashed for.
I want all the new amps!!

Offline RustInPeace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 10:39:48 PM »
Ok I can deal with that. I have had more time to play around with it and it really does cut through well in a band mix.

However, I have ran into another problem that I hope somebody from Randall can help me resolve:

The XLR out doesnt seem to work at all.  I have run a balanced XLR cable from the output to the input on my Steinberg CI2 interface, and doesnt seem to work at all.  I have tried putting the amp in both standby and on positions and nothing works.  The output isnt muted at all and im getting no signal through my interface.

Also, I tried to hook a cable from FX send to my interface, as the manual states that this should mute the output and give me a preamp signal (with no speaker emulation, which I would like to use with IR's in my DAW) as long as there is nothing hooked up to the fx return, and I still get no signal to my interface and sound coming from my speakers.

PLEASE HELP this is frustrating!!

Offline Gwill

• View Profile
    • My Band Triaxis!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 04:11:59 AM »
Hey Rust, I'm not sure about the xlr output not working but I might have an idea for the fx loop. If you take the send to your interface and get no sound maybe try putting a different cable into the return. Don't connect the other end to anything though. The amp might be seeing an open circuit where it's plugged into the interface and it could be bypassing the fx loop as if nothing was plugged in at all.

Make sure you have a cab connected to the amp though, don't want to blow up your transformers!

If I remember I'll have a check with my rd45 tonight and see what happens.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:17:52 AM by Gwill »
I want all the new amps!!

Offline Jimljr145

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 10:54:24 PM »
Funny, I was having the exact same issue with the Speaker Emulator (I called it a simulator in my post).  I am pluging the XLR out into a Behringer Q502 USB mini mixer to be able to use headphones.  I was not able to get any sound at all.  I brought it all back to Guitar Center and hooked it up with them and it worked perfectly.  But, it is only working with the stand-by off (No sound out to speaker cabinet).  Actually I may have that backwards.  If it is in stand-by, there is no output from any of the jacks in the rear of the Head (speaker cabinet outs, XLR out).  Only when you turn it off (?) does it send the emulated signal through the XLR jack. 

I suppose I didn't really answer your question, but in short, I too had the problem, but part of it seemed to have rectified itself...  Keep trying, and hopefully one of us will figure it out. 

Offline dlsmith976

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 05:39:54 PM »
Concerning the XLR output, the amp has to be off standby like you normally would to play through the speakers. You also have to have the master volume turned all the way down for the XLR to work properly.  Hope this helps.

Offline tscoolberth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 08:27:34 PM »
Ive been wondering about speakers for this amp too. I've resolved to just do a shootout at my local boutique dealer to see if I can improveon the sound. Currently playing thru a 2x12 with Carvin British series speaker. I'm just a bedroom player and I wish I just got the 20w but scored this RD45 on a steal @$400 new.

Been having trounle with my EMG loaded guitars sounding half decently but I realized I was using too much OD pedal. So I just used the on board boost with these settings. I have an attenuator but even so the volume and master need to stay quite low.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5lGIylsSIA0OEUwTDl6U0JvT2M/view?usp=sharing

Offline Tanker

• View Profile
    • Tanker @ Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 06:51:35 AM »
Ok I can deal with that. I have had more time to play around with it and it really does cut through well in a band mix.

How did you dealt with that?
How did you get your RD45 to cut through?

I have huge problem with lack of presence and treble generally. I event think of modifyingto get proper EQ.
When I was listenig to YT clips at all sounded well but in live situation with full band it just kills me.
Randall RD45
Randall V2
Fujigen Guitars
Metal music always loud!