Author Topic: RT503 OD1 + 2  (Read 2206 times)

Offline astokes

• View Profile
RT503 OD1 + 2
« on: June 01, 2014, 07:06:17 PM »
So I recently picked up a used Rt503 head and purchased a 2x12 Randall celestion load cab, LOVE IT :)   Before this I was using a Digitech GSP1101 into a Marshall Valvestate combo which sounded great but I just love the pure sound of the Randall tube distortion so I now have mt GSP and foot controller gathering dust, tried to use it with the Randall but I find it thins out the sound not by much but enough to warrant me sticking to just the amp alone.

Anyway thats a little history now to the point of the post, I really dont like OD1, its ok for getting those older sounds but thats not what im into I like OD2, could I make OD1 sound the same as OD2? I would like to have then give the same tone but OD1 to have less gain.

Probably not possible in guessing.

Oh and I just ordered a set of EL34s to try them out. I do like the amp with the 6l6's but I though hell give them a shot, oh and I did notice that the previous owner must have swapped some preamp tubes as they are all the same, from what ive read there is usually one different tube in there that people swap around for more gain but mine are all identical.

Thanks
Alan

Offline astokes

• View Profile
Re: RT503 OD1 + 2
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 09:25:57 PM »
Swapped out the stock Rubys today for some JJ 6l6gc.  They sound awesome, I have them biased lower than the Rubys yet they  have more gain and punch. Cheap replacement with great results, love this amp!!!

Had the Rubys at 41, the JJs at 36.