Author Topic: Just took the Pepsi challenge with the T2  (Read 10485 times)

Offline mattstrosity

• View Profile
Just took the Pepsi challenge with the T2
« on: June 15, 2012, 10:51:25 AM »
Just ordered a new T2, hopefully Randall has worked out all the issues these amps had when they first came out. That's why it's taken me this long to drop the hammer on one. I read a post describing the T2 as a 6505 without the fizz which pretty much sold me on it. Anyone feel the same?

Offline Wookieslayer

• View Profile
    • My band's facebook
Re: Just took the Pepsi challenge with the T2
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 03:47:58 AM »
Awesome dude I love mine.  That's a decent description but I would say it can be dialed in drier with more clarity.  If you push the gain it still retains it's character and note separation.  Also the low end is just brutal and huge, no boosting necessary!  Make sure you have a decent cab to handle it's power.

Enjoy and feel free to ask about it.
Randall V2 / Titan
RS412XLT100
ISP Decimator, Tech 21 Midi Mouse, Alesis Midiverb III
Schecter Omen 6, BC Rich Jr V Icon

Offline Gwill

• View Profile
    • My Band Triaxis!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 06:11:33 AM »
I also have a T2 and it is wicked, very dry yes and you probably will need a good cab to handle the bass (mine is dialled back to 9 oclock!) like Wookie said. It sounds super raw without a tubescreamer but can also get creamy with one, I'm undecided on whether to use one or not at the moment. They are wicked amps and cut so well live!
I want all the new amps!!

Offline mattstrosity

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 10:15:29 AM »
Thanks for the replies! My cabs are off the charts brutal, loaded with Eminence Swamp Things and Red Ryder's and rated for 480 watts so I think I'm covered. I can't wait to see what it can do. Any reliability issues?

Offline Wookieslayer

• View Profile
    • My band's facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 03:33:11 PM »
SWAMP THANGs  :P  always wanted to try those speakers with my amp!  let me know how it goes.

The early heads may have had some overheating issues or internal fuses going bad... for example the clean channel on my V2 went out, and I'm assuming a fuse went out but I haven't taken her to a tech or tried to open her up yet.  The distortion channels still work though...

And the T2 still kills!

Randall V2 / Titan
RS412XLT100

Offline Gwill

• View Profile
    • My Band Triaxis!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 04:59:37 AM »
I blew the MIDI chip in the channel changer on my T2. Heed the warning on the back and only connect the footswitch if the power is off!

Offline DaveFSJ

• View Profile
    • MOTOROACH
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 04:25:36 PM »
Mine keeps blowing the fuse in the back recently, what could be doing this? It's 240V and a 3.15A fuse.
Randall T2
Randall RA412XL
Fender Mustang III
Fender Telecaster HH Spalted Maple
Dean Dimebag FBD
Presonus 44VSL & Studio One

Offline Gwill

• View Profile
    • My Band Triaxis!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 09:07:15 AM »
Is the fuse in the right way?

Offline mattstrosity

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 02:33:15 PM »
No fuse problems yet (knock on wood). But I had the chance to put it to the test at practice.  I have to say that with a couple tweaks Randall could have the ultimate metal amp here. The low end is clean, tight and absolutely monstrous. The gain has a nice rawness to it, a little to much bite in the upper mids for me but some may like it. The high end is were I think the pre amp needs some work, to low and there's not enough, to high and it gets harsh. I really struggled to dial the highs in. A boost really helped tighten up the preamp and smooth the mids and highs. I use a Green Rhino, it's very transparent and allows you to dial the lows back in that most overdrives tend to take out, I love it, best overdrive on the market IMHO. It weirdly sounds better in the mix with a band than by itself. So all in all, I think this is a kick ass amp for the money.  I may also look to getting some mods done to dial it in to my liking. Oh and they changed the handles, it came with one of the nice leather ones you see on many Bogners. Anyone notice signal bleeding through on standby?

Offline Wookieslayer

• View Profile
    • My band's facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 04:05:54 PM »
Yeah I've noticed the signal bleed on stand-by but it's no big deal I guess... I use this to my advantage and I can record my preamp only in my room to my computer and apply cabinet impulses; no cab attached I leave the amp in standby...  :P

Yeah you can over do it with the high end if you're not careful, I tend to be pretty conservative with the treble and presence knobs.  I haven't found the right overdrive yet, I only have a ts9 and it sounds tighter but the mids becomes super in your face which is cool for certain things but I think I prefer it when it's smoother...  Would love to try the Green Rhino sometime.

Curious, where you dialing your bass and density knobs with your Swamp thang cab? I have to pull my bass to like 10 o'clock because its so overbearing with the XLT cab.  Also what pickups you using?  I have a pretty dark pickups in my Schecter, the Crunch Lab, and it has a rolled off high end but still remains open if that makes any sense... too much bass though with the T2 sometimes, but throwing a MXR 10 band in the loop solves that problem. 
Randall V2 / Titan
RS412XLT100

Offline Gwill

• View Profile
    • My Band Triaxis!
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 05:16:13 AM »
Live I usually have my bass at 10 and my density at 10. When I'm recording I mic the top speaker and put the bass up to 12oclock. The woofiness I get on A-C can be a bit much, been thinking of building a HP filter to help with that. Kind of like a tubescreamer but without the mid bump.

Offline mattstrosity

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 12:11:18 PM »
I'm running the lows at noon on the bass and 1ish on the density. Keep in mind my band plays in a concrete warehouse. Swamp Thangs are not really a bass heavy speaker. Their a very dark speaker, low mids, very little cone breakup. They can make or break your sound. Meaning if you like it crunchy than I wouldn't recommend them, I like my gain a little dry, saturated but dry. It makes you work harder, you can hear every note. I balance the Thangs with the Red Ryders which have a little more crunch to them. Both are very high powered so cone break up isn't really part of the equation. As for pick ups I'm using Dimarzio Deativators, which are very balanced pick ups. They don't sound a thing like actives, their loud with very even eq across the board nothing overpowers anything. I love them, A/Bing against EMGs is not even a question for me, they make EMGs sound so sterile.

Offline Wookieslayer

• View Profile
    • My band's facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 01:34:38 PM »
Live I usually have my bass at 10 and my density at 10. When I'm recording I mic the top speaker and put the bass up to 12oclock. The woofiness I get on A-C can be a bit much, been thinking of building a HP filter to help with that. Kind of like a tubescreamer but without the mid bump.

Nice your settings are nearly identical to mine actually!  I would say your T2 clips, especially the latest, are the best clips anyone has ever recorded of them, aside from wherever they've been used in a pro/record setting.  So tight and the tone is mean and growls.  I can only imagine the joy playing the amp at a live show, jamming with it is killer already.  I just want to see the look on the audiences faces with the punchy palm mutes  :o

I dunno if it's a combination of my room with my XLT cab but there is so much bass.  Putting my MXR EQ in the loop really helps... but I've been thinking of trying it first in my chain, after my noise gate to just dial out 100hrz and below and see how it sounds that way acting like a filter.  Have you tried that?  Maybe you won't have to build the high pass filter...

I'm running the lows at noon on the bass and 1ish on the density. Keep in mind my band plays in a concrete warehouse. Swamp Thangs are not really a bass heavy speaker. Their a very dark speaker, low mids, very little cone breakup. They can make or break your sound. Meaning if you like it crunchy than I wouldn't recommend them, I like my gain a little dry, saturated but dry. It makes you work harder, you can hear every note. I balance the Thangs with the Red Ryders which have a little more crunch to them. Both are very high powered so cone break up isn't really part of the equation. As for pick ups I'm using Dimarzio Deativators, which are very balanced pick ups. They don't sound a thing like actives, their loud with very even eq across the board nothing overpowers anything. I love them, A/Bing against EMGs is not even a question for me, they make EMGs sound so sterile.

Awesome!  I've really wanted to try Swamp Thangs for a while.  I've heard mixed opinions but generally they've been positive.  I also really want to try the D-activators!  I recently bought a 7 string Schecter Gryphon (mahogany body+maple top) and it has the stock duncan designed passives, but I was thinking replacing it with a DA or possibly the Duncan Distortion... I'm mostly a dimarzio guy though so we'll see...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 01:37:10 PM by Wookieslayer »
Randall V2 / Titan
RS412XLT100

Offline Gwill

• View Profile
    • My Band Triaxis!
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 08:04:39 AM »
Yeah putting the mxt in front of the amp might help, it would be kinda like a tube screamer, I just don't really like what a tubescreamer does to the sound of the amp, I prefer a more raw guitar tone like Megadeth. A high pass filter is only a resistor and a capacitor with some jacks so it wont even cost much to try. I've heard good things about the eminence speakers but I love the sound of vintage 30's (and can't justify to the missus buying more guitar stuff...)

Thanks for the compliments Wookie, the amp was actually recorded at low volume, the point where you just hear the poweramp opening up a bit! If it was cranked a little more it might sound better but the room might come into the equation and mess stuff up with the low end like you are talking about. Maybe try angling the cab 45 degrees from the wall, that certainly helped in the recording.

I LOVE how crunchy this amp is  :D

Offline mattstrosity

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 10:18:45 AM »
I feel the same way about tube screamers. That's why I'm using the Green Rhino, it has 2 little dials, 100Hz to dial the lows back in that overdrives tend to remove and the curve dial that softens the mid hump that your talking about. It is the most transparent overdrive I've ever used, the amp sounds like the amp, just tighter gain and feel. My bass player couldn't even tell the difference with it on. I keep the drive at 0 the level at 3 o'clock, 100Hz at 11ish, and the curve at 1ish. This with an ISP G String and it just kills.