Author Topic: RH200 G2 HELP/INFO NEEDED  (Read 16519 times)

Offline BRONSEN

• View Profile
RH200 G2 HELP/INFO NEEDED
« on: June 16, 2012, 06:24:35 AM »
Hello all,

I am after any info/specs, pros/cons ANYTHING AT AL on the Randall RH200 G2 series.

I know of one for sale, and do not know if it is worth purchasing, i wanted to get my first tube amp, but this sounded pretty nice. I cant seem to find much/any decent info on the particular one pictured with the slant cab.

The guy wants $700 Australian for it. Is it worth it at that price?!?!

Hope someone can help

Thanks
cheers

bronsen

Offline Wookieslayer

• View Profile
    • My band's facebook
Re: RH200 G2 HELP/INFO NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 03:35:30 PM »
Does it include the cab?  I sold my RH200 for $200 USD last year, although it was beat to s**t LOL...

Good amp heads that bring the thump, a bit noisy on the gain channels, but nothing a Boss NS-2 or ISP Decimator couldn't fix.  The cleans are AWESOME though.  One of the best solid state cleans I've ever heard, because of the clean boost adding compression and sustain. 

And the G2 series is the one to get, because the first run had overheating issues and they fixed 'em with the G2.
Randall V2 / Titan
RS412XLT100
ISP Decimator, Tech 21 Midi Mouse, Alesis Midiverb III
Schecter Omen 6, BC Rich Jr V Icon

Offline BRONSEN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 06:37:20 PM »
Does it include the cab?  I sold my RH200 for $200 USD last year, although it was beat to s**t LOL...

Good amp heads that bring the thump, a bit noisy on the gain channels, but nothing a Boss NS-2 or ISP Decimator couldn't fix.  The cleans are AWESOME though.  One of the best solid state cleans I've ever heard, because of the clean boost adding compression and sustain. 

And the G2 series is the one to get, because the first run had overheating issues and they fixed 'em with the G2.

hey man, thanks for the reply. Yeah the cab comes with. Wot do you think of the  price then? Bit much? This s**t is always dearer here than  US tho I think, but it is 4 yrs old i think he said.

The clean did sound bloody awesome, i was just put off cos its solid state,  i really wanted a tube if im spending those dollars. if it does the job tho...

Offline Wookieslayer

• View Profile
    • My band's facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 04:02:59 PM »

hey man, thanks for the reply. Yeah the cab comes with. Wot do you think of the  price then? Bit much? This s**t is always dearer here than  US tho I think, but it is 4 yrs old i think he said.

The clean did sound bloody awesome, i was just put off cos its solid state,  i really wanted a tube if im spending those dollars. if it does the job tho...

Yeah I'm aware that things cost more over there for a lot of American amps, but I'm not sure how much that translates.  See if you could talk him down, thought it does look really clean in the picture.

The cabs can be had from about 2-250 over here in that condition, I would say most 300, but the economy is bad here right now so that is taken into account.  I think the whole stack new was about 6 or 700 dollars American.  I've had the most experience jamming with my buddies with the RH200 even more than my current Randalls and it got the job done, it would get loud and is relatively versatile for a metal / hard rock amp.  Couple questions you gotta ask yourself...

Is this your first halfstack?  Do you plan to be gigging with it and if so will you be mic'd up?  If this is your first stack, it's a good one to start with.  I would say it's one of the better solid state heads out there, however while it can get loud and has just enough headroom to stay tight, you may get buried in a mix against a higher powered tube head for example.  If you're looking for old school thrash tones or relatively modern tones the amp will do you well. 

Besides the noise in the gain channel (noise gate is recommended), these amps put out a lot of bass so you have to be conservative on the knob; as well as the gain because it has plenty, cranking it is not needed.  It's also easy to overdo it with the high frequencies, so use your ears not your eyes when dialing in a tone.  The contour knob for the mids is crucial too; that really helps you define the sound you're going for.   

It may be worth it to hold out for another amp, possibly something with more power or wattage.  The G3 series RH300 or older Titan and Cyclones, or even the T2 / V2's come to mind.  Though they will probably be more expensive.  It really depends if you need the amp NOW, or what you need the amp for and if you plan to upgrade later or just buy one and be done for a while...  But if a tube head is really what you want, it's probably best to hold off.  On the other hand, it would make a great back up amp for when you do upgrade and will be very reliable for the quick jam or emergency gig or whatever.  Can't beat quality Randall solid state in that case.

Cheers,

Wookie

« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 04:04:50 PM by Wookieslayer »
Randall V2 / Titan
RS412XLT100

Offline BRONSEN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 02:26:40 AM »
Hey thanks for the detailed response. Yes its my first stack, yes id like to gig, but no immediate plans right now. I just want something decent to jam with that coul gig if needed, which youve basically said it will.  Would u have to still mic this to pa or depends on loc etc?

Alternative amps i had been looking at were peavey windsor 100 and an old peavey classic 100 (900 bux for them tho) but tjey r tube.

Im by no means a pro, just trying getting into it all a bit more seriously, but on a budget, however i dont want to make bad calls that i will regret later just for tryin to save a buck

Offline Wookieslayer

• View Profile
    • My band's facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 03:24:58 AM »
I think you will be happy with the RH200.  It looks like this one was taken care of so it shouldn't have any issues.  Also it will be the simplest set up and most convenient.  Just flip the amp on and no tubes to replace etc... Mic'ing it is completely dependent on the gig and lets say you were in a small bar and no mic, as long as the other guys in the band are being reasonable you should be able to be heard with the right EQ settings.

Otherwise the Peavey's are indeed nice heads.  I would recommend using a tubescreamer or overdrive pedal to boost the front end for a tighter low end.  They will be really loud too, probably able to be louder than the Rh200 though it shouldn't make a difference unless you're jamming with another guitarist who is being a dick and won't turn down.  Also since the Windsor is a "cheap" tube head you would probably have to switch out the tubes to get the most out of your tone but it's not required.  Just make sure you have that boost because it will make the world of a difference (the Windsor is based on the Marshall JCM 800, which means it doesn't have a ton of gain on stock but it sounds good and cuts through the mix).  Another good thing to consider, the tube amps will have to be cranked at loud volumes to get the best tone.  Lets say you want to do bedroom jamming, the RH200 will excel over most tube heads in this case since it is solid state, especially these Peaveys you've mentioned since they get a lot of their sound from the power section... whereas a Peavey 6505 or XXX, etc, gets a lot of their sound from the huge amounts of gain available in their preamp sections...   

Have you considered amps like the Jet City ones?  The JCA50h is around 600 AUD I believe which is a great value (they are designed by Soldano and will get you rock to metal tones with a boost as well)... though you would need to find a cab for it too.  You might want to look into 2x12 cabs too; it's more a feel thing than volume when comparing 2x12 to 4x12s; not to mention you will save your back when moving it around...  I was also going to recommend other Randalls, some new Laneys, or Egnaters... but they would probably be out of your budget.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:32:10 AM by Wookieslayer »
Randall V2 / Titan
RS412XLT100

Offline Wookieslayer

• View Profile
    • My band's facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »
Just had another thought of the new Randall Diavlo series of tube amps.  I dunno what the Australian pricing is but those seem to be of good value too and I've heard good things. 

here's a clip, the amp was modded but it gives you an idea in a recorded setting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z2mdfIFJAs&feature=plcp
Randall V2 / Titan
RS412XLT100

Offline BRONSEN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 09:56:24 PM »
Thanks again, you have given me heaps to consider. Ive actually found a 5 year old G2 rch head and cab for sale for 500 that im considering over the one i posted. I think as a beginner im gonna keep it simple. Thanks again for your help

Offline BRONSEN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 10:47:12 PM »

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/yarraville/guitars-amps/randall-rh200sc-head-cab/1003534369

This is the one ive recently found that I might get. Whats the main difference between this one and the other one?

This SC head and cab is 5 years old, its still a G2? Im sure it says G2 on the head.

Would the cab be different, maybe not celestion?

I think for this price it is more what im after, provided it is not much different from the other one i guess...

Offline Wookieslayer

• View Profile
    • My band's facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 11:38:35 PM »
wow!  that is actually a better deal for both the amp and cab!  provided they work as they should.  the SC stands for stereo chorus, it is the exact same model as the RH200 G2 but includes the built in chorus in addition to the reverb (pretty sure it has the reverb too).  The cabinet is actually a step up too because it is an older XL cabinet, which usually included Celestion Vintage 30s, sometimes G12T-75s or H-100s (rarer)... if it still has the original speakers in it and the head works this is an awesome deal!  you won't have to upgrade the cab in this case.  I have virtually the same cab except with a metal grill and straight format instead of slanted.  :) 

That is a good price and you will be really pressed to find a better deal.  The Celestions in the first ad's cab are Seventy 80s, which aren't bad speakers but a lot of people like to hate on them for whatever reason.  Try to test it before hand, check all channels and knobs... a good way to test to see if the speakers aren't blown is to play the clean channel at a good / relatively loud volume and play in the neck pickup of your guitar since that is the bassiest; if you notice any distortion than you know something might be up. 

good luck!   
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 11:44:00 PM by Wookieslayer »
Randall V2 / Titan
RS412XLT100

Offline BRONSEN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 12:45:41 AM »
Wow thats good then!! He told me the pic on the ad isnt actually his, just a stock one he found on the net, so im waiting for an actual pic. He said 5 year old, gigged a fair bit but little to no use for ladt year, exterior beaten up a bit but plays fine and has never let him down, only selling cos moving overseas. I will try what u said to test speaker too. Thanks again, really appreciate ur help!

Offline Wookieslayer

• View Profile
    • My band's facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 01:50:10 AM »
for sure dude!  sounds like it's from a hardworking musician which is always good as it may indicate reliability  8)
Randall V2 / Titan
RS412XLT100

Offline BRONSEN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 02:38:13 AM »
Here are some pics of the actual unit. Bits cuffed up, and missing a wheel, but no biggy, im reasonably handy so a new caster wheel form bunnings should fix it.

What do you think? I noticed theres no XL badge on the actual item, im waiting on a  reply from him about that.

Offline Wookieslayer

• View Profile
    • My band's facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 02:56:14 AM »
Hm yah it  seems it isn't the XL cab... it's probably the matching cabinet which either had Jaguars or possibly Rocket 50s... I'm hoping its the Jaguar equipped cab, those speakers are cool, I prefer them to Celestion seventy 80s; the Rocket 50s suck ass... the actual cabinet is quality but the rocket 50s cost $40 a piece new, so you will barely be able to sell them for the cost of replacement speakers.

I don't think it has the rocket 50s tho... the stock cab that my friend had with his original Rh200 G2 head lasted him a long time and will bring the thump and will be a good starter cab, to either rock and sell later or swap speakers later... I don't remember what speakers were in his though, you may have to ask the model number on the back of the cab and look it up... but depending on the year of production it's either one of the above mentioned.
Randall V2 / Titan
RS412XLT100

Offline BRONSEN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 03:09:26 AM »
I just texted him about the XL thing and he said he is pretty sure it is, just the plastic badge fell off.....