Author Topic: Randall RT503H, RT412CX, & RT212CX Questions  (Read 9644 times)

Offline Nemesis

• View Profile
Randall RT503H, RT412CX, & RT212CX Questions
« on: July 07, 2012, 04:05:52 PM »
Hello all.  I have been looking for an all tube metal amp that likes pedals.  I found a smoking deal on this trio, but have no way of testing it / hearing it before buying.  I cover the following bands: Slipknot, Godsmack, Five Finger Death Punch, Hurt, Lamb Of God, Metallica, and Bullet for my Valentine.  I don't play live, just jam out with the albums at home, and write my own material.

I tune down, and have an 8 string on its way, so the amp needs to have some balls in the low end. My current amp is a Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 mk1 with a matching Spider Valve 4x12 Cab loaded with Vintage 30's. That combo just CANNOT make the sound in my head, and to me "Farts Out" with low tunings.  I am really bad at describing what the tone of the low end I am looking for actually is. I am not sure if its "Tight" or "Loose". I do know what I like when I hear it. I can say its defiantly a "feel". As in I feel it in my chest. I also want something that can accommodate different tube types for experimentation as I also am not sure what type of tube will replicate what I am looking for.

I have never played through Celestion Greenbacks, but I'm getting the cabs cheap enough that selling the drivers and replacing them is 100% feasible.   What is the build quality of the RT series cabs? I am a little unclear if this amp is going to be staying in the line up now that Mike Fortin is on board, or if its going away.  Any info or feedback would be great, and thanks in advance to anyone who responds!!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 04:15:08 PM by Nemesis »
Guitars:
92 Ibanez 540SLTD (E Standard)
00 Schecter A7+
08 B.C. Rich FX-6 (Drop D)
09 B.C. Rich DLXJRVO Deluxe Jr. V (B Standard)
12 Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7 Passive (Standard)

Amps & Cabs:
Line 6 Spider Valve mk1 & Spider Valve 4x12 Straight (Vintage 30's)
Diamond Assassin
Randall Thrasher

Offline tacklebox455

• View Profile
Re: Randall RT503H, RT412CX, & RT212CX Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 04:35:13 AM »
the RT series from what i understand is gonna be axed along with the mts series to give way to mike fortin, but dont count the RT series out yet.

to answer your question this is the best possible answer i can give you channel 1 can do fender clean with the bright switch without brite on it reminds me of marshall/orange clean channel this is with gain at lowest setting with the gain rolled up you can get fender style dimed amp sound and all the way up does a great vintage orange/vox gain which is low gain

channel 2 at low volume has a nice plexi/jtm kinda sound then gain rolled up gives way to say a marshall jcm900 type gain

channel 3 OMFG! its got plenty of gain can do high on fire and other bands that use high gain with ease.

I would recommend swapping the stock ruby tubes that come with the amp(keep in mind there ok but not great) with say mullard,tung-sol,svetlanna,winged c somewhere in those lines pleae stay away from JJ,EHXand Groove tubes they suck balls! i know from experenice keep in mind i'm talking about there power tubes not there preamp tubes, also keep in mind that new sensor(EHX) owns the rights to JJ,EHX,SOVTEK,SVETLANNA,TUNG-SOL and more you can see a list on there new sensor website

as far as preamp tubes go i use tung-sol and JJ's I only throw in a JJ if the tung-sols take away to much of the highs.

as far as the RT cabs there build quailty is pretty good
the greenbacks however unless your playing at bedroom levels your gonna hate them since the break up so fast and keep in mind that the celestions you get in the cabs stock now days are china made not england made best way to tell is if the speaker says mad in norfolk,westchester in other words 2 different towns there china made

i would go all vintage 30 or gt12/75s either the 30's are to honky on there own but mixed with 75s work great i use vintage 30's mixed with eminence legend 70 watt and 80 watt speakers seems to balance everything out i also use some warehouse guitar speakers as well and there nice and cheap with a great build quailty.

to give a little back history on me here are the amps i own as of now
soldano hotrod 50+
Sunn Model T (vintage)
laney AOR ProTube 30
Crate Blue Voodoo(2007 model)
Jet City JCA 22H(20 watt Soldano SLO 100 clone)

heres what i have owned over the years

Orange OR120,rockerverb,AD
Fender tweed,duel chorus,blackface
Marshall JCM800,JCM900,Plexi,JTM,JMP
Sunn 200S,2000S,beta lead
Mesa Boogie duel rec
Randall valve dynamic 300,warhead

I know my amps pretty good as well as my speakers but the choice is yours,

if ya can private message me i might be able to give you the hook up on a RT503 for cheap thats new
Electric Wizard,Weedeater,High on Fire thats my play list

Offline tacklebox455

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 08:13:42 PM »
Hey Nemesis i played around with my RT503H today its got the bottom end i would say your looking for and it can use 6550 tubes which would give you some more umph!

I did however swap out my ruby 12AT7 for a JJ ECC83(12AX7) tone is more rounded to me now and I gotta admit I was gonna junk the ruby 12AX7AC5's (high gain) for tung-sol 12AX7's but after swapping them for tung-sols i swapped back to the rubys these are some great high gain tubes i was shocked, I do however still need to replace my stock ruby 6L6GC's after checking the bias today tube one came in at 41.1 and tube tube came in at 47.8 so i rebiased them but when i checked them using the hot prong in tube test point 2 and common in tube test point 1 i found i was over 0.8 i was 0.15 which means there not matched so good probally knocked around in shipping didnt help, so i think i'm gonna go mullard EL34's or tung-sol EL34's for now i would liek to put in a set of KT66 tubes but i'm waiting to see if these will work in the amp and not hurt the trannys.

Offline Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 11:20:29 PM »
I called into Randall today, and found out that the RT series amps and cabs also discontinued.  That being said, I have found the both the RT503H and RT412CX for about $399.99 each, and the RT212cx for $299.99.  I am still on the fence to see if its really worth pulling the trigger on.  I am going from a Line 6 Spider Valve mk1 Half Stack to what ever I get to replace the Line6.  Is this an upgrade, or am I just kinda buying for of the same?

Guitars:
00 Schecter A7+

Amps & Cabs:
Diamond Assassin
Randall Thrasher

Offline Wookieslayer

• View Profile
    • My band's facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 11:42:50 PM »
I would say it's a good upgrade!  I've seen those cab prices too, at Gearhounds... pretty tempting! 

and tacklebox, I like the Ruby HG+ tube in my Randall V2, slot v1.  :)
Randall V2 / Titan
RS412XLT100
ISP Decimator, Tech 21 Midi Mouse, Alesis Midiverb III
Schecter Omen 6, BC Rich Jr V Icon

Offline tacklebox455

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 11:44:12 PM »
I called into Randall today, and found out that the RT series amps and cabs also discontinued.  That being said, I have found the both the RT503H and RT412CX for about $399.99 each, and the RT212cx for $299.99.  I am still on the fence to see if its really worth pulling the trigger on.  I am going from a Line 6 Spider Valve mk1 Half Stack to what ever I get to replace the Line6.  Is this an upgrade, or am I just kinda buying for of the same?

way i see it your getting right at $2000 worth of amp gear for cheap...........whens the last time you bought a all tube 50 watt head for $399.99

btw if you look on ebay world music supply is offering a best offer option i got mine for $324.99

Offline tacklebox455

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 11:46:44 PM »
I would say it's a good upgrade!  I've seen those cab prices too, at Gearhounds... pretty tempting! 

and tacklebox, I like the Ruby HG+ tube in my Randall V2, slot v1.  :)

ive never really cared for ruby tubes but these hg tubes are great !  and nice!

Offline Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 01:46:34 AM »

way i see it your getting right at $2000 worth of amp gear for cheap...........whens the last time you bought a all tube 50 watt head for $399.99

btw if you look on ebay world music supply is offering a best offer option i got mine for $324.99

That's kind of what I was thinking.  It's not a bad price.  I'm just not sure if I want to buy a discontinued amp., especially one that I can't try out.  I'm just wondering if I should just wait and see what Ola and Mike have cooking, and what else Mike will be bringing to the table.  For now, I am still undecided.  :-\  That's where I found the best deal as well.  They quoted me $957.00 shipped for the RT503,RT412CX, and a RT212CX.
Guitars:
00 Schecter A7+

Amps & Cabs:
Diamond Assassin
Randall Thrasher

Offline tacklebox455

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 04:20:37 AM »
buying a discontinued amp makes no bones to me since most amp models are discontinued in a max of 5yrs some do however go longer, that being said a new amp in current production or one that has been discontinued but is new still have the same warrenty in this case 1 year best thing is your getting a insane deal because they have been discontinued.

the amps mike and ola have going are just variations of mikes other amps the ola satan is a natas with tweaks to the preamp and output section and the kirk hammet amp is the fortin meathead i would assume with tweaks to it too, main thing to keep in mind is these will probably be $1500 or higher amp heads, so it really depends if you wanna wait or go in on a deal the cabs i would still go with since there wont be a big difference or any at all to the new cabs.

here is a youtube link of the RT503 I just noodled and tryed to cover every corner i could think of at the time that the amp will do I play with the bright switch on the clean channel and i also take and use full gain with low level and max master then go to the least gain with a full leveland mid master to kinda show the full range of the amp
I used a zoom Q3HD handy cam hope it helps

http://youtu.be/JoREuxjFKf4

Offline Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 06:58:37 PM »
Thanks tackle.  That helps alot.  How many cabs can you hook up to the RT503H?
Guitars:
00 Schecter A7+

Amps & Cabs:
Diamond Assassin
Randall Thrasher

Offline tacklebox455

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 07:48:48 PM »
just depends on what ohm rating the cab has really you could run 2 8ohm cabs which would be 4ohm load on the amp you only need 1 4x12 cab if playing live unless your playing for 30,000 people lol even a 2x12 is great live so the choice is up to you really.

I my self use alot of cabs but i do alot of doom/stoner/sludge so i run 3 amps with 3 cabs i use a 4x12,2x12,and a 2x15

if this rig will be for bedroom playing and such a 2X12 is the way to go

glad the youtube vid helped

Offline Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 12:37:13 AM »
Pulling the trigger this month, getting the RT503H, RT412CX, RT212CX.  My plan is to replace the speakers in the 4x12 with a X pattern pair of Eminence Texas Heat \ Swanp Thang's.  That will sit on top of the 2x12 that will be loaded with a pair of Eminence Delta Pro-12A's.  The 2x12 will be ported, both cabs will be 16 ohm, with a custom Monster Cable wiring harness built by me to give the head a 8 ohm load.

Should thump my butt kick me in the chest fairly well i think.  :) ;) :D
Guitars:
00 Schecter A7+

Amps & Cabs:
Diamond Assassin
Randall Thrasher

Offline tacklebox455

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 04:37:06 PM »
when you get it let me know what ya think