Author Topic: RG 1503 arrived!  (Read 16182 times)

Offline Hellkommander

• Only Death Is Real
    • View Profile
    • DISCREATION on Facebook
RG 1503 arrived!
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:36:02 PM »
Hey folks,

today my RG 1503 arrived. Randalls german distributor was so kind to send me one of the first to test it.

Now I need the confirmation of one official person, that I can run it without a cabinet or load to record at home with impulse responses.

Now I`m leaving for band rehearsal. I will post my first impressions as soon as I return!
DISCREATION - Death Metal from Germany

Offline Wookieslayer

• View Profile
    • My band's facebook
Re: RG 1503 arrived!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:56:54 PM »
Awesome dude!  show us some pics :)
Randall V2 / Titan
RS412XLT100
ISP Decimator, Tech 21 Midi Mouse, Alesis Midiverb III
Schecter Omen 6, BC Rich Jr V Icon

Offline Hellkommander

• Only Death Is Real
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 02:24:03 AM »
Here it is, sitting on his little brother, the RG 8040.

I played the amp during yesterdays rehearsal through my RS412XLT cab. It is awesome! First let me tell you, that the 150 Watt of the amp are more than enough for any situation. I let the other guitarist play over my V2 and the RG1503 had absolutely no problems to compete against the 400 watt of the V2. We play Death Metal (www.facebook.com/discreation) and therefore we have to rehearse with a certain volume to be able to stand up against the drums.

In fact I had the channel volume short before half and the same with the master volume. I played it into the 4 Ohm input. But you won`t have issues with playing into 16 Ohms. This head is loud. Believe me, you certainly don`t have to wait for some 300 watt version or something.

I have played several SS Heads and hybrids in the past. But the RG1503 is different. This amp really moves air. It produces this kind of tangible sound that tube amps produce.

I don`t know what Randall has done in the past with amps like the RG 100G2 or the G3 Series. But this amp stands above them in terms of power and the abillity to cut through.

The sound ist very unique. It is raw but also very precise. It does not sound like a tube amp. But not because it fails to emulate a tube amp, but because Randall has fully embraced SS technology again. This Amp is for people who want to play SS because they want an SS sound. And thats great. Anybody who wants to play tube can afford a tube amp these days. So there is no more need for cheap SS amps emulating the amp that you canĀ“t afford.

I will continue to post impressions about the amp. I hope I could shed a little light on this amp.

BTW: Check the review of espguitarlover on youtube. This guy nails it down. Much better than I could do because I`m not a native speaker.

Offline Wookieslayer

• View Profile
    • My band's facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 03:35:24 AM »
f%%k yeah thanks for the pic and review.  I've also seen espguitars youtube commentary.

The comments you mention about moving air is why I love my old Titan... yes it is 300w and that thing moves you and punches your gut.  So does the T2 and V2 I have but they are not as raw as the Titan.  Would love to try the new 1503..!  Cool to hear it holds up fine against your V2.  If I were to get one the only worries I have would be getting lost in a mix or being too scooped.  Do you find yourself using the scoop button on the amp? 

Also I'm digging your band's songs!  right up my alley  8)  vocalist's highs remind me of Kataklysm and the riffs are a nice blend of brutal/melody.

Cheers,
Peter
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 03:38:46 AM by Wookieslayer »
Randall V2 / Titan
RS412XLT100
ISP Decimator, Tech 21 Midi Mouse, Alesis Midiverb III
Schecter Omen 6, BC Rich Jr V Icon

Offline Hellkommander

• Only Death Is Real
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 05:09:36 PM »
Also I'm digging your band's songs!  right up my alley  8)

Thanks, glad you like it!

Well, I just returned from the second rehearsal with the new amp. I am just as excited as I was last time. You have to hear that thing to believe how good it is.  You can`t compare this amp with the G2 or G3 series.

Here are some impressions I postet to a board member who contacted me over pm:

Generally speaking, i would say that the RG1503 has a different approach than the T2/V2 amps. They successfully try to achieve the comlex tube sound. They sound like modern high gain tube amps. The RG1503 sounds basically like Dimebags Pantera sound. In Channel 3 you have a more modern voicing suitable for low tunings and seven string guitars. Channel 2 is more of a traditional gain channel. You can go from AC/DC like chrunch all the way to very saturated high gain. In between, add a short delay and you get Dokken with "Tooth And Nail".

@Wookieslayer: You don`t have to be afraid, that the RG1503 could be to scooped. In fact I used the scoop switch today, an it works fine. Its nothing like the G2 or G3 as I said before. Actually channel 3 has very strong mids. Through my V30 speaker it can get boxy. But I think thats because its voiced to fit 7 or 8 string guitars to achieve that farty djent sound some kids seem to like ;-)

Anyway, if you have any questions don`t hesitate to ask.

Offline Haljon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 12:03:53 PM »
Awesome review. Thank for posting it.

One question: From what I was told by Randall, CH2 is a lot like the old RG100ES...can you confirm this?

Offline Hellkommander

• Only Death Is Real
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 04:28:19 PM »
Unfortunately I know the RG100ES only from youtube clips. I don`t know how much of these amps made it to germany back in the day. But I never saw one on stage or on ebay.

All these clips differ so much in quality and sound, so I can`t give you a reliable answer on this. But I saw a clip in wich Kirk Windstein explains how he creates his sound with a Rg100ES an a Boss Metal Zone as a boost. If this clip does justice to the sound of the Rg I would say, that the RG1503 can deliver this sound.

Offline Haljon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 07:06:52 AM »
ok, cool. Thanks for the reply !!

BTW, I checked out your band...awesome stuff !!! \m/ \m/

Offline MainiacMetal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 04:48:55 PM »
Still liking the 1503?  I still have yet to see them in local Guitar Centers or other stores...

Offline Hehasthejazzhands

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 03:09:32 AM »
Dude, I'm stuck between getting this, a V2, Archetype, and a POD HD500, and you're not making it easy at all...  :P

FortinAmps

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 03:21:38 PM »
Awesome review. Thank for posting it.

One question: From what I was told by Randall, CH2 is a lot like the old RG100ES...can you confirm this?

Yes it is !