Author Topic: Randall RX120RH advice  (Read 1640 times)

Offline Shermanator6594

• View Profile
Randall RX120RH advice
« on: January 04, 2015, 11:25:01 PM »
So I realize Randall amps are built for metal and I do play metal, although the band I am in is more like Breaking Benjamin, and Red Jumpsuit Apparatus sounding, I am looking at this for my first half stack cause of my budget, where I am at in life right now I wont be able to afford more than a $500 stack, I have done research and talked on ug forums, and decided already that I want a stack, and solid state mostly for the head room, My main question is, I use a pedal chain and effects for my distortion and overdrive, obviously the stock overdrive is geared toward metal, but if I use my pedals over a clean channel, could I get the alternative rock sound I am looking for?  Also I am not looking for the best amp out there, so save yourself on trying to persuade me on other amplifiers, I would just like to know about the chain setup with this one, also, how loud does it get? and would It survive in a band mix volume wise? Thanks, I am mainly looking to just get anything better than my 40 watt mustang 3 amplifier, is this better? (stupid question, but I just want to make sure it doesn't suck THAT bad if it does, so more for a comparison) Thank you all.

Offline BowerR64

• View Profile
Re: Randall RX120RH advice
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 02:45:28 AM »
I dont see why not, you might try an OD pedal and a Distortion pedal see which has the better sound. OD pedals like a tube screamer are meant to push the preamp tubes into saturation and give a more sort of distortion sound but the RX120 may benifit from doing it this way it also might like using a "Distortion pedal" something like a bad monkey.

NOt sure what type of distortion your wanting but there are some pedals that do both OD and distortion like the Boss and i think Marshall makes one.

I find the Clean channel is a very warm fat channel and when you run an OD pedal or a distortion pedal threw the clean channel it can get pretty thick. You may like that though

Dont be scared to try pedals threw your effects loop also you may get a sound you like running them threw the loop also.

I have a KH120 and the master controls the loop "Return" so you could also use your amp as a power amp and use pedals as your preamp, say a line 6 pod, or any pedals that are like a preamp like an OD or distortion pedal.

Amps that have a loop have so much flexability and having a master volume lets you control the volume from the front giving you so many more possibilities using an A/B switch so you could go threw the front or threw the loop