Author Topic: Changing tubes on an RD1C  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Bettyboo

• View Profile
Changing tubes on an RD1C
« on: May 22, 2015, 04:52:46 AM »
I have a new RD1C which I'm very happy with and don't wish to change the tubes for tone, but would like to know how to get into the amp to change the tubes when need be. So, I opened the back up today, but that didn't look like a good route in to change the tubes - which is the best way in on an RD1combo?

Also, out of interest, loving the tones, but what tubes are in it (as in brand)? I am ordering up some tubes for a couple of overdrive pedals, so it'd be good to know what's inside the baby Randall.

Many thanks for any help prospered.

Offline Bettyboo

• View Profile
Re: Changing tubes on an RD1C
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 12:14:17 AM »
Just a quick addition:

the bottom four screws from the backplate and the 2 sidescrews for the chasis will release the tubes (take care not to pull the packplate off too hard because the speaker is still attached and these could easily be broken).

The tubes are ruby tubes with the designation: 12ax7ac5 HG.

This amp sounds great with my SG (Gibson 498T and Damasio 36th anni neck(.

Offline Bettyboo

• View Profile
Re: Changing tubes on an RD1C
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 12:21:37 AM »
BTW, these seem to be decent high grade tubes (I'll be happy to replace them with the same tubes if one goes):

The Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG High Grade tube is the Shuguang 12AX7 9th gen tube, but distributed by Magic Parts. These are a very consistently made tube, sweet sounding, and very warm. High grade is a measuring system used by Magic Parts, which basically means the tube is better suited for amps that need more quiet tubes. This Ruby tube is a re-labeled Sino, Chinese and Shuguang - it's all the same.
http://www.dougstubes.com/ruby-12ax7-ac5-high-grade.html