Author Topic: Randall Warhead channel 2 has self-oscillating gain?  (Read 669 times)

Offline BlasphemyMadeFlesh

• View Profile
Randall Warhead channel 2 has self-oscillating gain?
« on: April 28, 2016, 06:24:09 PM »
Hey guys,
I just got a first generation Warhead combo, the one without a gain-boost knob. Even with the gain on 4 plus a Maxon OD-9 with drive off and level all-up, it's still enough gain to do tight and cutting death metal - I like it!

I was wondering if anyone that owns one of these beasts can tell me if their gain channel (channel 2) self-oscillates when you turn it up past 5 when nothing is plugged in?

How to reproduce it: Unplug guitar from input, turn up master level and channel 2 level volume, now turn up the gain knob past 5, you will hear it start to self-oscillate and produce a high-pitched sine wave type squeal kinda like an analog synth. The funny part is that the pitch goes higher as you turn up the gain.

Is this normal? I can only hear this tone when nothing is plugged in the amp - with a normal setup I can't get this to occur. I mean, I got this thing in order to produce squeals and harmonics but this is not what I had in mind (lol.) Hope someone can chime in on this.

update : looks like the effects loop is messed up, anything I plug into the return makes the amp unplayable because of buzz and hum. Straight through is fine though. Looks like this ones going to the tech to sort out.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 11:43:26 AM by BlasphemyMadeFlesh »