Author Topic: Dime left a cherry bomb in my Warhead 1st gen  (Read 322 times)

Offline WitchTripper

• View Profile
Dime left a cherry bomb in my Warhead 1st gen
« on: May 08, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »
Just picked up a second hand Warhead.  The previous owner reported that it would randomly lose either signal or sound (so I picked it up for a song).  Was kind of leery doing this as I picked up a RH150 a few years back with a similar issue and turned out the transformer was bad, discontinued and no retro fit was available so now its a boat anchor. 

Anyway it happened to me for the first time tonight, it'll be running fine and then totally kick out, you can hear the guitar faintly in the white noise a this time.  Then all of a sudden an earth shattering BOOM and it works again, did that to me a couple times and I stopped using it, because A) it just about torn my ears out B) I feared it might blow my 4x12.  Any idea of what might be causing this? 

Previous owner reported that he could get it working again by either messing with the volume or gain, or if that didn't work turn it off and back on again.  I also noticed the channel light will stay on in whatever channel you left off on when you power it off, I don't suspect this is normal?  You can actually switch the light one time with the foot switch from one channel to the other when powered off.

Any info would be appreciated!

Offline BowerR64

• View Profile
Re: Dime left a cherry bomb in my Warhead 1st gen
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 03:59:17 AM »
Tubes can do this, i think the warhead is a SS power but doesnt it have a tube in the preamp?

Have you looked inside the amp? Sometimes over time the pins on the preamp tube can oxidize and cause connection problems.