Author Topic: Strange question about vintage Randall RG40 112SC  (Read 292 times)

Offline bizmachine

• View Profile
Strange question about vintage Randall RG40 112SC
« on: May 11, 2017, 07:12:49 PM »
Hey guys,  So I got this Randall RG40 112SC from this dude on craigslist. It was super cheap.  35 bucks.  I figured the cabinet and speaker alone would be worth that.  I have a RG80 PH and I heard plenty of reviews on all other Randalls of that time era, so here is my dilemma. There is no footswitch first off.  Second, when I crank the gain there is zero , i mean zero distortion influence that is what these amps are famous for.  Clean all the way.  I am wondering if this thing needs the footswitch to operate correctly.  I almost wanted to guess that the amp was never meant to have the RG80 drive , but it has a gain, master, treble boost pull switch , i mean, it has to be a similar circuit in there. Any and all information you guys can provide for me would be awesome and thanks in advance.  Here is the manual of the amp I speak of btw.   http://www.randallamplifiers.com/downloads/legacy/RG40-112SC-OwnersManual.pdf

Offline BowerR64

• View Profile
Re: Strange question about vintage Randall RG40 112SC
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 03:45:59 AM »
How does the gain knob feel? when you turn it does it feel loose like maybe its broken? It could be bad or a leg of the pot is broke loose from the board.

Some pots can develope dead spots

Do you have any other footswitches you can try in the amp? some amps just short connections with the footswitch. Ive taken regular guitar cables and plugged them into the footswitch jack and simply short the tip and sleve together. They make little male 1/4" plugs with a toggle switch on it for amps that dont have channel switching buttons on the amp. It could be that the only way to change the channels is with a footswitch.

Does it have 2 different inputs? some of those older amps have a "high level" and "low level" input have you tried both?

Maybe some one plugged in a pedal into the front and blew something in the input so its just a clean signal? it looks like an older Randall amp like from the 80s?

Offline giskard

• View Profile
Re: Strange question about vintage Randall RG40 112SC
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 01:36:23 PM »
I have an RG-50 112.  To change channels without a footswitch, I have to push/pull the treble knob.  You should check if any of your controls are pull pots...