Author Topic: Can RT50H drive a full stack?  (Read 4054 times)

Offline ChromeCity

• View Profile
Can RT50H drive a full stack?
« on: August 23, 2012, 03:17:07 PM »
An RT50H has two speaker outputs - one 4 ohms and one 8 ohms.  Can these be used in parallel to drive a full stack?  If so, would the two 412 cabinet impedances need to be set to 4 ohms and 8 ohms respectively?  Thanks.

Offline tacklebox455

• View Profile
Re: Can RT50H drive a full stack?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 01:21:49 PM »
can it run a full stack? yes! but a single 4x12 would b better on he amp its self

you cannot however use both the 4 and 8 ohm outs you can use two 8 ohm cabs and daisy chain (going from 4 ohm output to input of the first 8 ohm can then use the out of the ohm cab to the input of the other 8 ohm cab)them to the 4ohm output.

or you could use 16 ohm cabs doing the same thing

16ohm cab + 16ohm cab = 8ohm total load

8ohm cab + 8ohm cab = 4 ohm load

just have to remember to use ohms law

for a great sound you could use a 2x12 cab open back with a closed back 4x12 and have a down right killer rig this can also be done with two 2x12 cabs
Electric Wizard,Weedeater,High on Fire thats my play list

Offline ChromeCity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 01:51:33 PM »
Thanks for your informative reply!

Regarding daisy chaining for cabs that have an input & an output - you said to use the 4 ohm output and daisy chain the pair of 8 ohm cabs.  Those cabs would have to be in parallel for that to be 4 ohms total.  Is that how those input/output jacks work - in parallel?  I had previously figured they were probably wired to be in series.  My own cabs are typical 1960A/B cabs, so they don't even have that in/out daisy chain functionality.  But this is a friend's amp, and he's got some other cabs like Behringer & Bugera & of course, the Randall cab, and a couple of those do have the in/out jacks.

You said in your reply that a single 412 cab would be better on the amp.  Why is that?  What would it affect?  Usually, people try not to do anything that would degrade their transformers.  Is that something at issue if driving a full stack?  With my own gear, I have eight different amp heads, and all but one of those are 100W or 120W, so they are intended to power a full stack comfortably.  I never tried that with my 50W (Carvin) head, and I usually only use it for a 212 cab (@8 ohms) for small club gigs, although at larger gigs or at home I switch it to a 412 (@16 ohms).  But my friend who just got this 50W Randall half-stack was just trying to find out if he could run a full stack since he has other cabs.  This RT50H blew away his other amps in my mind in terms of pure tone.  The 6L6's were definitely a great choice for that amp.  I've got them in one of my JSX heads (EL34's in the other) and 6L6's get real nice and beefy in the low end.  I think the RT50H is being discontinued (due to the huge discount deal I got him on his half-stack).  That's too bad - it seems like a great combination.  But maybe something even better will take its place in the line.

Offline tacklebox455

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 07:48:29 PM »
if the back of the cab only has 1 jack then you can't daisy chain them and yes you are correct
Electric Wizard,Weedeater,High on Fire thats my play list