Author Topic: Amp/Cab Ohm Matching - Please Help  (Read 451 times)

Offline metaldome

• View Profile
Amp/Cab Ohm Matching - Please Help
« on: March 28, 2018, 07:42:19 PM »
1) So I bought a Randal RG100ES amplifier head and from what I can see it has two 8 ohm outputs on the back. In the manual it says "Less than 8 OHM load impedence is not recommended" but then in the specifications it says "120 watts RMS @ 4 ohms" and "80 watts RMS @ 8 ohms." Why is it listing watts @ 4 ohms if less than 8 ohms is not recommended?

2) I also bought a Randall USM-RV412S 270 watt speaker cabinet, it has a switch on the back which can be set to stereo (two 8 ohm inputs) or mono (one input is 4 ohms and the other is 16 ohms). I believe it would be alright to connect the 8 ohm amp output to the 16 ohm mono cab input, correct? If so how many watts will I be getting?

3) What are my other options? Is it safe to go from an 8 ohm amp output to the 4 ohm mono cab input? Is there any way to make the cab 8 ohms to match the amp? I believe if I switch to 8 ohm stereo each input will only power two of the four speakers? Could I run two speaker wires, one from each 8 ohm amp outputs to both of the stereo 8 ohm cab inputs? How would that affect wattage?

Thank you for any help!