Author Topic: randall rt503 killing the feedback  (Read 5630 times)

Offline ryujutsei

• View Profile
randall rt503 killing the feedback
« on: September 20, 2012, 11:23:32 AM »
hello all i have a randall rt503 im using a dean ml knight which has emg 81 85 pickups so im a gain whore i like really high gain this amp sounds great to me but when im not playing i get really bad feedback on the third channe it wont stop if i step away from the amp or if i place my hand over the strings the only option i have is to turn my volume all the way down or switch to my clean channel wat can i use to kill this annoying sound coming from my amp just so everyone knows my setting master is at about 2 gain is all the way up treble is all the way up mids are all the way down and bass is at 12 o clock level is at about 12 o clock ive tried just turning my treble down tht doesnt help ive tried cuttin my gain down but then it just sounds bad to me because i like the high gain sound this amp has enough gain for me so i dnt want to switch amps i just need to kno wats my options of killing the feedback aside from buying a new amp because i love my randall its the first tube head ive owned and my first randall so i dnt wanna have to replace it

Offline Wookieslayer

• View Profile
    • My band's facebook
Re: randall rt503 killing the feedback
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 07:15:24 PM »
max treble!  yikes... other than lowering that and the gain, you could try an ISP Decimator or Boss NS-2 (noise gates) between your guitar and the amp...
Randall V2 / Titan
RS412XLT100
ISP Decimator, Tech 21 Midi Mouse, Alesis Midiverb III
Schecter Omen 6, BC Rich Jr V Icon

Offline tacklebox455

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 03:28:03 PM »
is your control cavity shielded? if not do so other than that with the setting you use your gonna have to be at least 15ft away from amp before feedback stops
Electric Wizard,Weedeater,High on Fire thats my play list

Offline RoccoRiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 06:07:33 PM »
I had the same problem.  I have the 100 watt head and play a 7 string with EMG's..Squeal city..sometimes EMG's need a foam pad behind them to limit the squeal factor.but .I bought an ISP decimator pedal and problem is solved. You will never stop the amp from squealing  any other way. All amps with mega gain will do this...don't feel it's inherent to your Randall . You will like the ISP, trust me. It tightens everything up nicely.

Offline abraham_rami

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 09:46:59 AM »
Well, sometimes the wires have some "weird noises" or "ground".. but you can kill all this noises with a noise supressor (like somebody told you here).. ISP is nice, and easy to use!... the NS-2 from boss, it works in a loop, so you must to put your amp in the loop! if you want to know the configuration, ask me! i know how to! :)

Offline dmack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 04:04:15 PM »
how can i put a Line 6 pod xt live and Boss ns-2 through the loop? I have a Randall V2 and the Tube channel has massive amounts of feedback unless i have that level down very low and gain very low. I loose all tight saturated distortion.

Offline Wookieslayer

• View Profile
    • My band's facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 10:40:32 PM »
use the channel volume no higher than 11 or 12 o clock and then use the master as your main volume.  too high on the channel levels can muddy up the tube saturation IMO.  Don't forget to dial the bass back or some of the lows out with the graphic EQ if things are too muddy. 

Where do you have your gain set?
Randall V2 / Titan
RS412XLT100
ISP Decimator, Tech 21 Midi Mouse, Alesis Midiverb III
Schecter Omen 6, BC Rich Jr V Icon

Offline Parisstorm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 12:05:27 AM »
remember, a lot of the times less gain is more gain. turn the treb down a bit and put some mids in that bitch....not a lot, around 4....that will help with noise. if u put it in a mix it will be lost with those setting aways. on any high gain amp a noise gate is a must. get a ISP and drop it in the loop...that will fix the rest